RE: Combo Oracle/SQLServer enterprise DBA Salary Info anywhere (or willing to share a range) ? (Clarification)

From: TJ Kiernan <tkiernan_at_pti-nps.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2011 11:20:05 -0500

In my limited experience, job title dictates salary, with variations on local job market, cost of living, size of the company, etc. It's not fair, because we are all unique and beautiful snowflakes, but the fact is that we're paid based on the cost to replace us, not the amount of value we provide to our employers.

Around here, "Database Administrator" implies SQL Server DBA and makes 20~30% less than an "Oracle Database Administrator" makes. Given that you're starting from Oracle and moving to SQL Server, you wouldn't want to try to average the two, but instead consider what the company is saving by lumping more responsibilities on you and ask for some portion of that. The initial answer I'd expect is a swift 'No,' so the next thing to do is ask them to enhance your job title so that your pay can follow. I'd play around on Salary.com or GlassDoor.com to find a title that commands a better salary range than your current one, say if you go from "Enterprise Oracle DBA" to "Senior Enterprise Oracle DBA".

The only other way to be sure to get a raise is to have another offer on the table. Whether you can do that and how long it will take is also largely a function of where you are (obviously).

HTH,
T. J.

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Taylor, Chris David Sent: Tuesday, September 20, 2011 10:23 AM To: 'oracle-l_at_freelists.org'
Subject: Combo Oracle/SQLServer enterprise DBA Salary Info anywhere (or willing to share a range) ?

Anyone have a link to salary info for a combination for combo Oracle and SQL Server DBA? Or, might be willing to share a salary range (with me, not the list) if you are responsible for both? :) Looks like my job is changing in that I am _the_ database administrator moving forward with someone who can backfill as needed except in emergencies.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Tue Sep 20 2011 - 11:20:05 CDT