Re: why no native Oracle XE 11g for Mac OS X?

From: John Piwowar <jpiwowar_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2011 13:36:40 -0400

Dev tools like jdeveloper, sqldeveloper, etc. can likely be made to work on OSX with minimal tweaking and repackaging. XE, however, is "desktop-oriented" primarily in size, apart from missing a few advanced features. I suspect that porting a large portion of the RDBMS code base is a bit more labor-intensive than making Java-based dev tools Mac compatible. :)

I agree with Tim. Virtualization (and/or "Teh Cloud!") moots the argument for an OS X-native version of the RDBMS. I was excited when the 10gR2 version came out, but it mostly gathered dust on my HD after a while, in favor of a lot of VMs.

Regards,

John P.

Sent from a mobile device to deliver a more rapid response. Please excuse brevity and typos.