RE: Oracle Configuration Manager

From: MacGregor, Ian A. <ian_at_slac.stanford.edu>
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2011 10:30:54 -0700

OCM creates an account, ORACLE_OCM which does the collecting. This account collects what I would call sensitive information. THe sys account is not involved at all. Also Oracle Corp does not log into your database to collect the information.. The communication is initiated on the customer side and the information sent. If I look on the page about OCM I see it is noted that passwords are not collected, however other information about users and profiles is. This might help someone determine which accounts are best to attack.

One of things promised, but not delivered is Oracle warning of problems other customers have had with similar configurations, allowing you to be proactive. Local scripts and OEM won't do that. Also the future seems to include a tighter integration between OEM and support. OCM appears to be the vehicle for this. One reason I wanted to look into it.

I too feel that my local monitoring is more than sufficient to check the health of the database. But that does not mean I am against using other means of checking. I strive for perfection in these things, but do allow the possibility of flawed scripts.

Ian MacGregor
SLAC National Accelerator Library

From: Subodh Deshpande [deshpande.subodh_at_gmail.com] Sent: Thursday, September 15, 2011 10:56 PM To: MacGregor, Ian A.
Cc: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Re: Oracle Configuration Manager

well if you using sys user in OCM then its something to worry.. I never used OCM for health checks..rather our own scripts..using OEM is an option if you are going to use OCM for patches and if you are not comfortable with production then you can configure development, test boxes using OCM and latter you can apply those patches on production..

DO NOT FORGET TO SMILE TODAY

--

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Fri Sep 16 2011 - 12:30:54 CDT

Original text of this message