Re: testing recovery

From: Eric Grancher <eric_at_grancher.fr>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2011 11:33:36 +0200

good morning,
regarding this question, at CERN we (Ruben Gaspar) have developed a fully automated recovery validation system and open sourced it, it is available at: http://sourceforge.net/projects/recoveryplat/. It works for 9.2 10.2 and 11.2 on several platforms like Solaris and Linux.

It works from 9.2 to 11.2 on multiple platforms, both with (local or shared like NFS) filesystem and ASM.

Having such a solution is really worth to really validate the backups to identify possible flaws especially when the backup strategy gets quite complex (read-only tablespaces, etc.) and also to have an estimate about the time required to do the real restore/recover.

We use it to validate a number of databases on a regular basis (some on a weekly basis) and also export some in a consistent way for some (at the end of the recovery) for long term archival.

regards,
Eric