Re: for those who don't read my blog (tsk tsk!)

From: David Roberts <big.dave.roberts_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2011 00:07:08 +0100

OK, I will reply with my opinions.

In the most recent role I assumed, being a member of UKOUG and studying for a formal certification plaid a part in me being recruited.

Personally, I found the certification process interesting.

I have a development background and relied predominantly on the official McGraw Hill certification guides (and my practical experience) as the primary basis of my certification. I took the mandatory course as a last step having already passed all the required exams.

My experience was, that by studying for the exams, I found holes in my knowledge that I didn't know existed. I read stuff in the exam guides and my jaw dropped and I tested it myself, and I found out that it was true.

As a DBA predominantly informed by experience, it became apparent that you become (or at least I became) an expert in the areas that your employer/customer requires the most work.

With a development background, I passed the SQL component exam with a pass mark in the high nineties.

When I hit the performance tuning exam, I scraped through with the lowest possible pass mark. This was after I had attempted the test exams included with the official guides and bought a secondary, third party exam guide (because my results from the practice exams were poor.)

As a developer I had a grossly exaggerated view of my competence in Oracle performance tuning and I learnt a significant amount about the subject from an alternative perspective.

So in short I found the process both enlightening and humbling.

OTOH, you are correct that the McGraw Hill guides are full of errors.

It is self evident that taking certification exams is a dull pursuit, and writing exam guides has to be one of the more tedious roles for a technical author. There is the additional issue that some versions of the exam guides are obviously updated versions of outdated exam guides and some of the outdated information is not removed and some of the new information is obviously written by someone without practical experience of the features documented.

You suggest that Oracle sells the original exam questions to the general public. This is a difficult question that we are unlikely to resolve in an email list. I would suggest that I encountered perhaps 3 questions in my exams that I had previously encountered in practice questions. My interpretation of that is that there are some very obvious questions, and the writers of the practice exams co-incidentally hit real questions.

OTOH, I did not purchase any official material from Oracle, so I can't comment on the questions included with official Oracle CBT training materials. But I understand that that Oracle rotates official OCP questions on the exam and refreshes them from a pool of new questions.

My expectation is that Oracle could reuse retired questions in official training materials, but Outside of oracle I would suggest that it would be difficult to establish that.

In the UK (I have no experience of the US jobs market) I am confident that a formal Oracle certification would be considered a significant differentiator at the earliest stages of the recruitment process.

Sometimes it is the difference in my opinion (justly or not) between no interview and a first interview.

Dave.