Re: hosts file format

From: Greg Rahn <greg_at_structureddata.org>
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2011 09:16:25 -0700

Yes - also in the RFCs.
http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1123.html
* "MUST"
     This word or the adjective "REQUIRED" means that the item
     is an absolute requirement of the specification.

  • "SHOULD"
     This word or the adjective "RECOMMENDED" means that there
     may exist valid reasons in particular circumstances to
     ignore this item, but the full implications should be
     understood and the case carefully weighed before choosing
     a different course.

  • "MAY"
     This word or the adjective "OPTIONAL" means that this item
     is truly optional.  One vendor may choose to include the
     item because a particular marketplace requires it or
     because it enhances the product, for example; another
     vendor may omit the same item.

On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 8:48 AM, <stevek_at_mailbag.com> wrote:

> Hate to pick nits, but is there a formal distinction between "should" and
> "must"?
>

> > Yes - see manpage for hosts:
> > $ man hosts
> >
> > DESCRIPTION
> > The hosts file contains information regarding the known hosts on the
> > network. For each host *a single line* should be present with the
> > following
> > information:
> >
> > Internet address
> > Official host name
> > Aliases
> >

> > On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 7:45 AM, Niall Litchfield
> > <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >> Does anyone here know if the habit of various oracle products to require
> > the
> >> hosts file format to be in the form
> >> XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX HOSTNAME.DOMAINNAME HOSTNAME <any aliases>
> >>
> >> reflects an industry standard anywhere. I've come across a large number
> >> of
> >> systems now where you find lines like
> >>
> >> XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX HOSTNAME HOSTNAME.DOMAINNAME <any aliases>
> >> or
> >> XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX HOSTNAME.DOMAINNAME HOSTNAME
> >> XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX <alias1>
> >> XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX <alias2>
> >>
> >> and so on.
> >>
> >> RFC 952 (which admittedly dates from when I was still in full time
> >> education!) doesn't seem to specify the format oracle seems to
> >> prefer/require or even one line per ip address (though that seems
> >> sensible
> >> to me).
> >
> > --
> > Regards,