RE: hosts file format

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2011 11:50:03 -0400

nods. and the hosts(4) man page from SunOS 5.10 has the breadcrumbs back to the standards, which have been updated to include IPv6. Interestingly it uses "nicknames" in place of "aliases," which variation in man pages I take to be a subtle joke in that they are nicknames/aliases for each other. Everything I've seen says single line, but I have not digested the standards to see what parsing rule is in there. It sure makes sense to me to keep it to a single line, although a lot of the standards I worked with snuck in some line continuation syntax in deference to the former popularity of hard copy manuals, documentation, and fixed character font printers.

RFC 921, RFC 1884, RFC 952 and RFC 1123 are all referenced, as well as several "see also" references to more man pages, and I have not exhausted the possibly recursive "see also" link search.

mwf