Re: testing recovery

From: Ingrid Voigt <GiantPanda_at_gmx.net>
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2011 21:14:32 +0200

We are doing at least one-two test recovery per year. Sometimes a scenario we choose, sometimes our manager does: time for disaster recovery beginning with OS install on new host - duplicate database to test - simple / pitr recovery for non-Oracle-DBAs - repair broken Oracle installation - time for complete recovery of large DB - ...

In most cases we use an empty host (very new or very old) and a small dedicated test db for this purpose.

A short backup-restore test is also part of the installation process for new Oracle servers.

The "ordinary" scenarios (pitr because customer broke something) occur frequently enough in production and don't have to be tested. Restore only failed once... so far... ( ;-) )

Regards
Ingrid