Re: Oracle Database 11.2 on RHEL 5.5 certification

From: Radoulov, Dimitre <cichomitiko_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2011 11:43:53 +0200

On 02/09/2011 11:34, Chitale, Hemant Krishnarao wrote:
> Funny.
> The documentation specifies Oracle Unbreakable Enterprise Kernel for RHEL 5 Update 5
> but not for RHEL 5 Update 2 !!
> http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E11882_01/install.112/e16768/toc.htm#CIHFICFD
> and
> http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E11882_01/install.112/e16763/pre_install.htm#CHDFFBIF
>
> There's a note which says :
> Oracle Unbreakable Enterprise Kernel for Linux 5 Update 5 (2.6.32), available for x86-64 systems, contains several additional features and performance enhancements not available either with Oracle Linux or with other supported Linux distributions. This kernel can be installed on either Oracle Linux or Red Hat Enterprise Linux distributions. Before installing the Unbreakable Enterprise Kernel, you must have Oracle Linux 5 Update 5 or Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 Update 5 installed on an x86-64 server.
> So if you "modify" the RHEL distribution with Oracle Unbreakable Enterprise Kernel, whom do you call for OS support ? Redhat or Oracle ?
>
> I suggest that you login to support.oracle.com and check the Certification pages.

It states just:

Oracle Database 11.2.0.2.0 with Linux x86-64 Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5

For further details see Certification Information for Oracle Database on Linux x86-64 (Doc ID 1304727.1).

Quotes from the note:

Certification Details for Specific Releases

11.2

OS versions and minimum levels:
[...]

Red Hat Enterprise 5 Update 2 and higher

[...]

See Oracle Database Installation Guide 11g Release 2 (11.2) for Linux for the Minimum Operating System Requirements. [...]
11.2.0.2 requires Oracle Linux 5 update 2 or higher Unbreakable Enterprise Linux kernel (UEK) for x86-64 is supported with 11.2.0.2 and requires Oracle Linux Update 5 or higher.

So we have:

  1. Doc ID 1304727.1 - 11.2.0.2 requires Oracle Linux 5 update 2 or higher.
  2. Installation Guide: Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 Update 5 (only if using Oracle Unbreakable Enterprise Kernel)

Thanks
Dimitre

*

*