RE: Anyone using a 64-bit APP with a 32-bit Oracle Client?

From: Dunbar, Norman (Capgemini) <"Dunbar,>
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2011 08:59:42 +0100

Hi Chris,

>> Subject: Anyone using a 64-bit APP with a 32-bit Oracle Client?
Nope, it doesn't work. 64 bit OS can run 32 bit apps as well as 64 bit - if they have the required support "packages" installed. However, a 64 bit app needs a 64 bit Oracle Client in a manner similar to how a 32 bit app, running on 64 bit OS, needs the 32 bit Oracle Client.

>> Oracle note 1151394.1 says .....
>> Is that always true though?

Yes. (For certain values of "always" perhaps!)

>> For example, the SQL Developer
>> 64-bit version from Oracle runs with my 32-bit client
>> libraries though it may be doing something different since
>> it uses Java.

Are you sure that SQL Developer is actually a 64 bit app? It may be that it claims 64 bitness but is really "64 bit compatible in such a way that it will actually run on 64 bit OS" - in other words, it's really 32 bit!

I can't say for sure, I'm most definitely a Toad man myself, and I know that the Toad support lists get frequent postings about this very matter - "I've installed Toad on 64 bit Windows and it says I don't have an Oracle Client installed, but I have 64 bit Oracle 11.2 Client". Toad is created by Delphi, and until Delphi XE2 hits the streets, Delphi creates 32 bit applications which require 32 bit supporting infrastructure, even if running on a 64 bit OS.

>> I was trying to find a 64-bit app that had database
>> connectivity to test some scenarios but I can't easily locate one.
I'm not aware of any - until the development tools for 64 bit apps are a lot more popular (in use) then we will be stuck with 32 bit stuff running on 64 bit OSs.

HTH Cheers,
Norm.

Norman Dunbar
Contract Senior Oracle DBA
Capgemini Database Team (EA)
Internal : 7 28 2051
External : 0113 231 2051

Information in this message may be confidential and may be legally privileged. If you have received this message by mistake, please notify the sender immediately, delete it and do not copy it to anyone else.

We have checked this email and its attachments for viruses. But you should still check any attachment before opening it. We may have to make this message and any reply to it public if asked to under the Freedom of Information Act, Data Protection Act or for litigation. Email messages and attachments sent to or from any Environment Agency address may also be accessed by someone other than the sender or recipient, for business purposes.

If we have sent you information and you wish to use it please read our terms and conditions which you can get by calling us on 08708 506 506. Find out more about the Environment Agency at www.environment-agency.gov.uk