RE: standby reinstate failed: other options

From: <Laimutis.Nedzinskas_at_seb.lt>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2011 08:11:58 +0300

>Now if you did a "failover" and not a switchover, sometimes a reinstate
will work depending on how far back, etc it is.

it worked for me may be 4 times out of 5 (this is per database) in pre and post-production.

Actually, it worked the fifth time too after I quickly re-learned the old good habbit to copy redo logs aside before messing with db. btw, how is that accomplishable in ASM?

  From:       TESTAJ3_at_nationwide.com

  To:         Richard.Goulet_at_parexel.com

  Cc:         "Laimutis.Nedzinskas_at_seb.lt" <Laimutis.Nedzinskas_at_seb.lt>, "oracle-l_at_freelists.org" <oracle-l_at_freelists.org>,
              oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org

  Date:       2011.08.29 16:49

  Subject:    RE: standby reinstate failed: other options,

Sorry I didn't see the original thread on this one.

I've messed with DG broker probably more than I ever wanted to. Even when oracle says to "rebuild standby" its not necessarily true, i've gotten around it multiple times between, bouncing standby, disable, re-enable configuration, manually catching up logs.

Now if you did a "failover" and not a switchover, sometimes a reinstate will work depending on how far back, etc it is.

joe

 From: "Goulet, Richard" <Richard.Goulet_at_parexel.com>

 To:   "Laimutis.Nedzinskas_at_seb.lt" <Laimutis.Nedzinskas_at_seb.lt>,
       "oracle-l_at_freelists.org" <oracle-l_at_freelists.org>

 Date: 08/29/2011 09:31 AM

 Subje RE: standby reinstate failed: other options
 ct:

 Sent  oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
 by:

You're going to have to rebuild the standby from the primary. Which leads to the other side that having a system that fires on its own is normally not a good thing. Call me old fashion if you like, but I prefer to fail over my standby manually just because of this.

Richard Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA/Na Team Leader

pic14129.jpg