(Resolved): Another 11g enigma

From: Maureen English <maureen.english_at_alaska.edu>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2011 08:48:19 -0800

Thank you to Charles Schultz!!!

A while back there was a thread about issues with the alert log. One detail that I remembered from that thread was that there were issues with the alert log that sometimes gets created in $ORACLE_HOME/dbs. We occasionally have alert logs created in $ORACLE_HOME/dbs, but they always seem to be generated at database startup or shutdown, though I haven't paid much attention to the exact situation. When I do find these alert logs, I check them out and then delete them since they're usually old.

Surprisingly enough, I found an alert log for the cloned database in $ORACLE_HOME/dbs and it didn't contain the expected information...it had information for an old ORA-00600 incident...from July.... I deleted that alert log, ran utlrp in the cloned database and the message got written to the alert log in the diagnostic_dest directory, and the trace file that got generated didn't have any errors in it!!!

It's Friday, life is good!

  • Maureen