Re: ACID

From: saurabh manroy <saurabhmanroy_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2011 13:20:02 +0200

Hi Laimutis,

Even Oracle is using WAL mechanism. Changes are first written to logfile before flushing the change to datafiles on disk.

For DB2, I see that its incorporated that select query from another session has to wait until User commit is 'complete'.

http://webdocs.caspur.it/ibm/db2/8.1/doc/htmlcd/en_US/index.htm?openup=admin/c0005425.htm

" The data in the log buffer is written to disk by the logger process. In the following circumstances, query processing must wait for log data to be written to disk:

  • On COMMIT
  • Before the corresponding data pages are written to disk, because DB2(R) uses write-ahead logging. The benefit of write-ahead logging is that when a transaction completes by executing the COMMIT statement, not all of the changed data and index pages need to be written to disk.
  • Before some changes are made to metadata, most of which result from executing DDL statements
  • On writing log records into the log buffer, if the log buffer is full"