Creating New 10G DB With DBCA in 11g Grid Can't Find ASM Instance

From: Langston, Chris <Chris.Langston_at_aa.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2011 20:51:45 +0000

List Guru's,

I'm trying to create a 10g database on an upgraded 11g grid using DBCA (to replicate the steps done previously when both DB and Grid were 10g) and on Step 7, after selecting "Automatic Storage Management" and clicking "Next", I get:

    DBCA could not startup the ASM instance configured on     this node. To proceed with database creation using ASM     you need the ASM instance to be up and running. Do you     want to recreate the ASM instance on this node?

I click "No" because ASM (11g) is running on that node: there are several existing 10g databases currently using it.

Details:

  1. Trying to create a 10g 2 node RAC database on HP-UX B.11.31 using an ASM instance attached to SAN storage.
  2. Grid and ASM have been recently upgraded to 11g. Plans to do the databases are in the works but I need this one up now.
  3. There are existing 10g databases on the same nodes that have no problem seeing the 11g ASM instance.
  4. The existing 10g databases were created when ASM/grid were at 10g version.
  5. Tried setting ORACLE_HOME to the 10g DB and 11g grid/ASM locations to no avail.

I've searched the Internet and Oracle Support (metalink) but the closest information I can find deals with existing 10g databases that need to connect after ASM is upgraded to 11g. Can't seem to locate information for creating a new 10g database to an 11g grid.

As you might infer by my job title, I'm not a pure DBA; just a programmer with some DBA training. If someone could point me in the right direction or the location of some documentation on the subject, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Chris Langston |Sr. Object Oriented Programmer| American Airlines® |817-963-9659 | chris.langston_at_aa.com