Re: Memory used by a single oracle server process in Solaris

From: Tanel Poder <tanel_at_tanelpoder.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2011 16:56:20 +0300

> and only memory mapped to zero [/dev/zero] is a additional memory used
> by process itself.

There may be standard heap (process data segment) memory too which would need to be added. Plus any writable mapped segments which would allocate memory for them via COW (copy-on-write page sharing).

> Take a look on Solaris version on Tanel Poder blog -
>
> http://tech.e2sn.com/oracle/performance/unix-performance-tools/process-memory-matrix

Yes, I second to that :)

I have explained the meanings of the different pmap output columns and mapping types there too...

Note that the V$ views in Oracle usually only tell you what Oracle *thinks* it's
using or doing. The only way to know for sure is to take a screwdriver and open up the process from outside .... in other words use OS tools like pmap for finding the truth. This is not possible on all platforms, but solaris (pmap) supports it...

--
Tanel Poder
http://blog.tanelpoder.com