RE: Grid Control hardware

From: Storey, Robert (DCSO) <"Storey,>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 08:14:53 -0500

Per the Oracle documentation. E16847-09, Grid Control Advanced Installation and Configuration Guide, 11g Relase 1 (11.1.0.1.0) dated May 2011, page 2-5 it states very clearly that the 32bit EM GC Software
(both the OMS and the OMA) can be installed only on a 32-bit operation
system that is running on a 32-bit hardware. Similarly, a 64 software base can be installed only on a 64-bit OS that is running on 64-bit hardware. Do NOT (their emphasis) try to install a 32-bit software on a 64-bit platform or vice versa. The installation may proceed, but will fail eventually."

I agree. Ludicrous. Their only suggestion was to go to 64-bit Linux.

From: Niall Litchfield [mailto:niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com] Sent: Monday, August 22, 2011 8:10 AM
To: Storey, Robert (DCSO)
Cc: oracle-l-freelists
Subject: Re: Grid Control hardware

OK so that appears to be an entirely ludicrous position to hold. Do you have the reference for the install note? I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't support it on a 64bit O/S but the hardware platform is both irrelevant, and er likely impossible to meet. I'm pretty damn sure that their development hardware and test hardware doesn't meet this 'requirement'.

On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 1:45 PM, Storey, Robert (DCSO) <RStorey_at_dcso.nashville.org> wrote:

So, as a follow up to this, I have talked to MOS on a SR about this. There response was that they (Oracle) will not support the installation of the 32bit grid control software via a 32bit OS (Windows) onto a 64 bit machine. They only thing they will support is to install the 32bit GC software via a 32bit OS (Windows) onto a 32bit hardware base.

I then asked them what are new customers for Grid Control suppose to do when 32bit hardware is no longer available? We're a Dell shop and there is currently no server that I've found available on their systems page that is NOT 64 bit. Under normal circumstances, a 32 bit application should work just fine on a 64 bit hardware base with a 32bit OS loaded.

Are we having fun yet?