Re: DG convert to snapshot DB problem????

From: Robert Hanuschke <robert.hanuschke_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2011 18:17:46 +0200

Hi,
that's the crucial difference of a snapshot standby - redo is NOT applied to it. As the name says, it's a snapshot of the current primary in a certain point in time so applying the redo on that would destroy it's purpose (hence step one in the conversion - stop redo apply). To have redo applied and therefore always the current state as in the primary and the database open in the same time, active data guard is used - but has to be licensed separately.

To sum up:
redo applied, database not open -> normal data guard redo not applied, database open as snapshot of a certain point in time -> snapshot standby
redo applied, database open and always the current state of the primary -> active data guard

Best regards,
Robert