RE: Hi again

From: Upendra N <nupendra_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2011 09:31:23 -0400

Hi Lee,
You could use Oracle Advanced security for the encryption. In ASO you are looking at encrption at the network layer. ASO at the network layer is very easy to configure, essentially a few lines in sqlnet.ora at the source and destination. You need to purchase ASO option for the source and most likely the data guard environment.

See additional resources under the link: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/options/advanced-security/index.html On the same page under the "Hands-on" section click "Configuring native network encryption" for a 30 min tutorial.

If ASO is cost prohibitive, you may look into setting up a secured tunnel (free) between the source and target database. Secured tunnel adds another layer to monitor/troubleshoot/fix etc. Google search "ssh secured tunnel" should find you plenty of links.

HTH
-Upendra