RE: Disaster Recovery: Oracle Data Guard or Storage Snapshots?

From: Upendra N <nupendra_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2011 22:03:31 -0400

 I would second this. Data guard acts as a DR and if your application architecture supports, it could also be used during maintenance activities - OS/Oracle patch, hardware maintenances etc. You could use the "switchover" feature to temporarily switch the primary site and once your maintenance is done, you could switch back again.

Data guard site could also be used for read only operations. See below: http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14239/manage_ps.htm#sthref997

FYI, you won't be able to apply the archive logs at the data guard site when it is open for read only operations. So you need to make sure your recovery SLAs are not impacted.

If you go with Data guard you need to have Oracle Enterprise Edition (hope you already know this..) and your data guard site should also be licensed similar to production with all the Enterprise Edition options. If you use SAN based replication you may be able avoid purchasing the Oracle licenses as long as you use your data guard site <15 days in a year. Oracle keeps changing these policies, you may want to review the current licensing document if you choose this approach.

Hope this helps
-Upendra

CC: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
From: fuadar_at_yahoo.com
Subject: Re: Disaster Recovery: Oracle Data Guard or Storage Snapshots? Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2011 20:34:47 -0500
To: thiagomaciel_at_gmail.com

I've down DR at more than that distance and used both scenarios A 10.2.0.5 dataguard physical and emc srdf . Both are doable . It all depends Ob testing and validity with storage snapshots as a DBA I found it harder to confirm ad validate and most of management responsibility was with the SAN and Unix team with Dataguard I felt more in control since I had charts and reports readily accessible to show lag time etc and testing was mostly to brung the db up have the app connect and the flashback and start applyBoth methods have their merits and demerits but both are valid and workable solutions Fuad

On Aug 17, 2011, at 7:34 PM, Thiago Maciel <thiagomaciel_at_gmail.com> wrote:

Hi List,
We are planning our DR solution at a client. The distance between the production and DR site will be ~ 266miles. Based on your experiences what is the best solution (if we can say that):

Oracle Data Guard or Storage Snapshots?
**Oracle 10.2.0.5 running on AIX 6.1**
Thanks a lot in advance,
Thiago Maciel