Problem with importing partitioned table with > 5000 partitions

From: Peter van Rijn <petervanrijn_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2011 15:37:48 +0200

Hi all,

Currently I'm trying to transfer a schema of one of our applications from the current 9.2 database to a 10.2 database. The schema is is pretty straight forward except for this one partitioned table REGISTRATIONS. The table has 288 million rows and more than 5000 partitions.

Exporting was no problem, but importing the dumpfile is. At the moment the process is trying to create the local indexes on the partitions and it is taking a long, long time. That wouldn't be too bad, but now I cannot connect to the database anymore, it simply seems to hang. Also a process state dump has been produced without me asking for it. The MMAN-process is using al lot of CPU. Actually I doubt something useful is still happening, but will see it through the night if something comes out of it.

Has anyone experienced this same behaviour, and do you have suggestions how to successfully create the indexes?

TIA, Peter