RE: EXT :Re: restoring from backup when db is open

From: Schauss, Peter (ESS) <"Schauss,>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 20:08:37 +0000

FWIW, I have used it and tested rman extensively on 8.1.7.4 in /nocatalog mode. It is very simple to set up and easy to perform restorations.
  • Peter Schauss

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Guillermo Alan Bort Sent: Friday, August 05, 2011 10:27 AM
To: Joseph.Armstrong-Champ_at_tufts.edu
Cc: ORACLE-L
Subject: EXT :Re: restoring from backup when db is open

Oh, and I think there's no need to tell you to USE RMAN BACKUPS!!!! no other form of database backup is acceptable (there are always exceptions, but you'd better justify your exception pretty damn well) since Oracle 9.2 (probably before, but I don't know how well RMAN handles with 8i).

That being said, I've successfully recovered the data from a worse scenario: "full disk copy" with the DB open on a 8.1.7 on NT4 database. So it is quite possible.

hth
Alan.-