Re: Hints

From: Kellyn Pot'vin <kellyn.potvin_at_ymail.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 10:23:00 -0700 (PDT)

I'm fully aware of a similar situation to Jeremy's where complex/unique design and business/revenue demands, only allow for so much time to ensure stability for the CBO, but it MUST be stable and consistent. Due to the unique life span of these environments, the best solution was to lock stats on most of the tables after their initial build, (no more data would be added or removed from the tables), disabling many CBO dynamic features for views/sampling and have complex hints that help the database take the best path eliminating the choices that might seem to be the best by the cost, but end up "costing" in the end in heavy IO.  This arena pushes IO to the limits and avoiding it is my main goal when performance tuning in this environment.

These steps I have taken in this environment ONLY, where the OLTP's and other DSS systems involved, I take a much more traditional approach and performance challenges are in a complete different direction.  It all depends on the environment and what you are using Oracle for.  If you are stuck with a front end application that may not utilize Oracle as effectively as you would like, you may find yourself in the same place I was, a DBA shaking her head and doing the exact things she said "I would never do that in a database environment!"  Oracle offers us the options with hints, SQL outlines, SQL Profiles, statistics features, etc. so when we find ourselves up a creek without a paddle, we can build our own paddle...

Kellyn Pot'Vin
Sr. Database Administrator and Developer
dbakevlar.com