DB CPU in Time Model

From: Venkat Krish <venkat.lear_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2011 16:08:25 -0400

Hi -
 This is just a curious question that popped up my mind by looking at someone's AWR.. I dont have access to database and wont be able to run any related query or anything.

The TimeModel statistics have been pasted here: http://pastebin.com/YZ7SRX0M

The question is related to "DB CPU" metric ..

Here is what I know or my thought process.. please correct me, if I am missing anything or incorrectly ruling out

  • the SQL elapsed time accounts only to less than 50% (if there was a culprit sql or API, it should hv been counted against this.)
  • parsing is near zero (so its not parsing cpu)
  • there could have been no PL/SQL (looping with dbms_lock.sleep or anything similar) because PLSQL exec time is almost zero

what could be causing this DB CPU.. ?? if the db is spending 83% on total db time cpu but doesnt correspond to sql or plsql elapsed time, is it a good or bad indicator?

Thanks in advance,
Venkat

PS: DB version : 11.2.0.2 running on Solaris