Re: log_buffer sizing

From: Venkat Krish <venkat.lear_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2011 15:37:44 -0400

what version? Hopefully you are employing batch commits.

from 11.2 docs<http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e16638/memory.htm#PFGRF94347>

*A reasonable first estimate for such systems is to the default value, which is:*
* *

*MAX(0.5M, (128K * number of cpus))*

  • *

*On most systems, sizing the log buffer larger than 1M does not provide any performance benefit. Increasing the log buffer size does not have any negative implications on performance or recoverability. It merely uses extra memory.*

You definitely should look for more convincing evidence (redo related wait events) before you go ahead and start tuning log_buffer size

Regards,
Venkat