Re: How many is too many

From: Kellyn Pot'vin <kellyn.potvin_at_ymail.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2011 14:50:57 -0700 (PDT)

I have to add this a bit to this....

Every index that is requested should be "justified".
What this translates to:
-Proof that the index is actually used must be produced, (or will be used...)  I don't know how many times I've been given DDL for an index someone thought their query would use and you pull a simple explain plan and find out otherwise.
-The cost to support the index should be calculated-  "What will it cost to updates, inserts and deletes that are performed against this object in relation to the savings to have this index in place to the business?"
-If it's a partitioned object, what kind of index are you requesting and if it's a global index, you had better be sacrificing a small animal to prove to me the overhead in management to my team is worthy of it... :)

Reviewing and auditing index usage in a mature production environment is rarely a waste of time.  The task once allowed me to drop 30% of the indexes in an environment and re-allocate over 1TB in space back to the system.

Kellyn Pot'Vin
Sr. Database Administrator and Developer
dbakevlar.com