RE: How many is too many

From: Lange, Kevin G <kevin.lange_at_ppoone.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2011 16:22:18 -0500

That is a perfectly stated response. Too many is when adding them starts to hurt performance. I will not tell you how many one of our tables has because you would call me nuts.

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Morten Egan Sent: Thursday, August 11, 2011 4:18 PM
To: veeeraman_at_gmail.com
Cc: ORACLE-L
Subject: Re: How many is too many

The number that is considered a no-no, is the number where things start to go unacceptably slow :)

Joking aside, if your program does what it is supposed to do, in an acceptable time, then it really doesn't matter.

2011/8/11 Ram Raman <veeeraman_at_gmail.com>

        Listers,

          I am looking at a table in our system and it has 12 indexes, we are planning on adding another one. I am aware of the effects of having too many indexes, but in this case adding an extra index helps a certain query that runs slow. Other queries and most other operations against the table are acceptable too. I see a few tables like this; is there a number above which is considered a no-no when it comes to adding more indexes.

        PS. The tables and queries are structured in a way that seem to require several indexes - it is a third party product.

	TIA,
	Ram.

--
Regards,