RE: multi-home servers

From: <Joel.Patterson_at_crowley.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2011 10:55:48 -0400

Niall I also wrote my own scripts partly so they don't get overwritten in the future.

One sets the environment, oraenvset, and dbstartall, dbstopall was loosely based on dbshut, dbstart. These are korn-shell and written for Solaris. I do not put anything in rc dirs as it is really not necessary. If something aborts that badly, I'd rather start everything by hand or have the sysadmin simply run the script. Its easy and will even loop through oratab starting the configuration managers for each home, and display a log file everything that is running. Could be a listener for every home, a CCR for every HOME. (You can pass a NOCCR parameter and it will skip it. its all configuration managers or none however. That is the only thing not controlled by oratab). An agent. Opmn. I don't think I'm missing anything.

You can get a cop(ies) if you wish. Briefly dbstartall will loop through oratab setting the environment for anything it finds as it goes. Of course it will skip commented lines, and if the flag is set to :N. Listeners by convention always start with eight characters LISTENER, and agents as AGENT, so the environment is still set, but the SID becomes the first field ie LISTENER_10G, and case statement in dbstartall branches to the subroutine for listener, and agent. Or OMS/IAS, or CCR.

P.S. it also has an untested subrouting to start ASM instances, (we don't have now). It does that first analogously, and then moves on with the above description - but it never finds any in my case.

Calling from a lower run level would probably need some tweaking of environment variables and whatever is not set at that level.

Joel Patterson
Database Administrator
904 727-2546

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Niall Litchfield Sent: Tuesday, August 09, 2011 9:06 AM
To: ORACLE-L
Subject: multi-home servers

those of you out there running multiple oracle homes, potentially with multiple oracle software owners and certainly with multiple listeners on Linux. How do you control db and listener startup at boot time? dbstart seems entirely inadequate.

--

Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA

--