Re: multi-home servers

From: Rich Jesse <rjoralist2_at_society.servebeer.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2011 08:22:00 -0500 (CDT)

Hey Niall,

> those of you out there running multiple oracle homes, potentially with
> multiple oracle software owners and certainly with multiple listeners on
> Linux. How do you control db and listener startup at boot time? dbstart
> seems entirely inadequate.

I turn it off completely. I ran into a hardware issue once upon a time that caused the server to crash -- very likely without syncing -- then bounce constantly over night. While the DB was spared, I was concerned that there could have been damage to the physical files should the crash happen during startup or operation. So I turned off autostart completely.

It's good review for me to make sure I can restart Oracle, even the somewhat more complex all-on-one-box Grid Control. It helps validate my documentation. And the few times per decade that I need to reboot, it's not really that much trouble. Being a paranoid control-freak DBA, I much much much prefer a manual startup.

My $0.02 (backed by .00001176 oz of gold), Rich