RE: Suse 11 shmmax setting 11.2 install

From: Dunbar, Norman (Capgemini) <"Dunbar,>
Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2011 12:55:29 +0100

Afternoon,

I'm not sure what the default settings for those kernel parameters are on SLES 11 as I've only got Oracle systems running on SLES 11 and there are a couple of files which reconfigure the kernel setting at startup:

/etc/sysconfig/oracle - which has a number of settings for Oracle, RAC,
Clusterware etc. This is installed by t he orarun package on SLES. As is:

/etc/init.d/oracle (plus a sym link to /usr/sbin/rcoracle). This is a
startup script, set to automagically run at startup for init 3 and 5. The settings in /etc/sysconfig/oracle determine what this script does, but there is one setting that is defaulted to YES, which is, SET_ORACLE_KERNEL_PARAMETERS. Everything else is off.

The default (oracle) memory settings etc are also set in the
/etc/sysconfig/oracle file. Unfortunately, I've got access to a 32 bit
system at present so I'm unable to tell what the settings are for 64 bit - but you could have a look on your server.

There is a "bug" in this setup though, START_ORACLE_DB_LISTENER="yes" doesn't do as I expect. It starts the default LISTENER listener, and not the one(s) we have configured for the databases. I had to write a separate script to locate all the required listeners regardless of Oracle version, and start them, if required. (Happy to share - but the script does assume certain standards that we use at work.)

Cheers,
Norm.

Norman Dunbar
Contract Senior Oracle DBA