Suse 11 shmmax setting 11.2 install

From: Peter Hitchman <pjhoraclel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2011 20:18:41 +0100

Hi,
Looking for some advice here on installing into a 64 bit Suse environment:

SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 (x86_64) VERSION = 11
PATCHLEVEL = 1 Oracle EE 11.2

I have been stuck not being able to run the GUI installer because the machine is so remote from me, it never displays back to my X server, so I started going through the pre-reqs using cluvfy to help, when I came across the fact that shmmax is set to 18446744073709551615.

Now I am used to not changing a configuration if the setting is greater than Oracle needs, but cluvfy objects to this setting and I was taken aback by a value that is (2^64)-1.

I am trying to get all of the pre-reqs I can sorted so that I get an easier ride when I try to use the installer with a response file in silent mode.

What experience do others on the list have, who have used Suse, with this setting of shmmax , have you always changed it or left it as is?

Thanks

Pete