Re: Same SQL, different tools, different SQL_IDs?

From: David Mann <dmann99_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2011 11:24:15 -0400

> Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2011 21:31:28 +0300
> Subject: Re: Same SQL, different tools, different SQL_IDs?
> From: Tanel Poder <tanel_at_tanelpoder.com>
> To diagnose further you can run dump() function on these SQL texsts. I
> wouldn't be surprised if some tools (one some platforms) use both CR+LF for
> line feed and some use only one. In SQLplus regular output they both look
> the same - but DUMP() function will tell you the difference. Also, some
> tools may add a space or line feed in the end of the SQL...
>
> --
> Tanel Poder
> Blog: http://blog.tanelpoder.com
> Expert Oracle Exadata book:
> http://www.apress.com/9781430233923

Thanks to Sai and Tanel for the suggestions, will retry my tests and then DUMP each query's text from v$ views.

I suspect having tools push queries to Oracle with whitespace differences is not earth shattering news but will work together a blog post with my results so maybe it will help someone else out there.

Interestingly I did also try the OEM screen "Execute SQL" to run the SQL and it did come back with the same SQL_ID as originally reported, so that may be a solution if I am trying to make sure when I re-run SQL I get the same SQL_ID reported.

--
Dave Mann
www.brainio.us