Re: Oracle Shared Server Implementation

From: Stefan Knecht <knecht.stefan_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2011 14:37:36 +0200

There are valid uses for it still... If you've got such a vast number of sessions that you're running out of memory, and you can't upgrade your iron.

You have to be aware that there might be potential performance impacts vs dedicated servers, as well as hitting the occasional odd bug because you're using a "non-mainstream setup" (we've hit a rather nasty one with the dispatchers for instance).

But particularly if a large chunk of your sessions are not concurrently active, but idle some of the time, you can really reduce the memory footprint of the private process memory on your system.

Again, it's not something I'd ever setup out of the box (unless maybe you've got so many sessions that no box out there can handle it with ded. servers), but it's something that can help you (at least temporarily) resolve memory issues.

Stefan

Stefan P Knecht
CEO & Founder
s_at_10046.ch