RE: all time worst question I have been ever asked as a DBA

From: Herring Dave - dherri <Dave.Herring_at_acxiom.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2011 15:02:51 +0000

Priceless!

I had a very similar episode, but with MOS. Around 10 years ago we had a GS160 where management didn't want to fully license Oracle and their app across all CPUs. Being NUMA they had me figure out ways to keep all processes on a certain set of CPUs (really QBBs). I struggled with MOS for a long time trying to get out details of how Oracle will detect and work with NUMA architecture and at one point the consultant tried to hand me off to a user "expert" on this type of thing - me.

It was one of those moments when too many "snappy answers to stupid questions" occurred that I couldn't say anything. Kind of like when I was paged in the middle of the night and the caller said their app failed on a "uni-queue", then 5 minutes later I found out what type of "uni-queue" - a "uni-que index".

DAVID HERRING
DBA
Acxiom Corporation

EML   dave.herring_at_acxiom.com
TEL    630.944.4762
MBL   630.430.5988

1501 Opus Pl, Downers Grove, IL 60515, USA WWW.ACXIOM.COM

The information contained in this communication is confidential, is intended only for the use of the recipient named above, and may be legally privileged. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please resend this communication to the sender and delete the original message or any copy of it from your computer system. Thank you.

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Lange, Kevin G Sent: Wednesday, July 27, 2011 11:30 AM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: RE: all time worst question I have been ever asked as a DBA

In a former life, I called the help desk because I was having an issue with my machine connecting to our local Oracle database that I was the DBA on.  I was prety sure it was some issue with the client but we did not get to admin our own PCs so I was out of luck in doing anything about it myself .

The help desk actually told me to "Shut your PC down by powering it off.   Now turn it on.  When you see the OS/2 load screen, shut it down real fast."  He told me to do this 3 times.   Wondering where he was going with this, I did it.  I was stuck without a connection anyway.  He then told me "OK.  Your machine should be fixed now.  Go ahead and connect.".   I tried.  And, as I expected, the failure still happened.

He next said "OK.  Let me call the Subject Mater Expert I have on record in your location."     As I was waiting for this to happen, my other line range.  It was the Help Desk calling me about this guy who was having trouble connecting to our local Oracle Database.

You think he might have noticed a simularity in the names.

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Amaral, Rui Sent: Wednesday, July 27, 2011 11:11 AM
To: 'nilosegura_at_gmail.com'; kevin.lidh_at_gmail.com Cc: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: RE: all time worst question I have been ever asked as a DBA Or:

We don't need to backup the database. We can rebuild our 3 terabyte db with our text files!

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Nilo Segura Sent: Wednesday, July 27, 2011 12:08 PM
To: kevin.lidh_at_gmail.com
Cc: oracle-l_at_freelists.org

I got a phone call from somebody who could not print a document, he did it because in the login banner there was a message saying something like "call this number for oracle database problems".

printer problems = oracle database problems   (a well known axiom...)

yeah... right :)
On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 5:40 PM, Kevin Lidh <kevin.lidh_at_gmail.com> wrote: A good friend of mine used to say, "If it has a 'D' in it, it's a database issue."  When I was an DEC Rdb DBA, I used to get paged for issues even whey they had determined it didn't touch a database...just in case it was a database issue.

NOTICE: Confidential message which may be privileged. Unauthorized use/disclosure prohibited. If received in error, please go to www.td.com/legal for instructions. AVIS : Message confidentiel dont le contenu peut être privilégié. Utilisation/divulgation interdites sans permission. Si reçu par erreur, prière d'aller au www.td.com/francais/avis_juridique pour des instructions.

This e-mail, including attachments, may include confidential and/or proprietary information, and may be used only by the person or entity to which it is addressed. If the reader of this e-mail is not the intended recipient or his or her authorized agent, the reader is hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by replying to this message and delete this e-mail immediately.