Re: Operational Excellence - True or False? (Feel free to explain if so inclined)

From: David Roberts <big.dave.roberts_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2011 15:13:09 +0100

OK, I'll be extremely cynical here.

I know a couple of Expert SQL*Server DBAs, and they are a rare breed.

There is a simple problem where expert Oracle DBAs get paid substantially more than expert SQL Server DBAs.

There is the second issue that Management perceive SQL Server to be, like for like, substantively cheaper than Oracle.

The question is, would an Oracle/SQL Server expert get paid substantively more than an Oracle expert.

At least one of the SQL Server experts I know wants to become an Oracle expert, simply so they can earn more money.

To a great extent this is simply a reflection of the success of Microsoft's marketing position that SQL*Server self manages and doesn't need an expert DBA.

At the point where expert SQL*Server DBAs are recognised for their true value, then economically, you might find the development of hybrid near-experts.

Where pay for Expert Oracle DBAs substantively exceeds pay for Expert SQL Server DBAs, there is no motive for people to become dual skilled! Dave