RE: Operational Excellence - True or False? (Feel free to explain if so inclined)

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 19:43:08 -0400

Well, I suppose that is true. After all, this is the oracle-l list and I'm thinkin' many will agree that decent competence will suffice to achiever operational excellence of large enterprise data stores with Oracle and that it cannot be done at all with the software of the convicted monopolist your mention.

Now if you had mentioned another genuine enterprise class RDBMS besides Oracle you would have an interesting argument. Then I'd say false, because operational excellence does not require top 1 percentile expertise in the individual database products. Given an RDBMS that fundamentally works, and perhaps avoiding new features until production release plus 2, the vast majority of people on this list should be able to manage a very large information store to certain recoverability and very high availability.

And of course there are whole suites of multi-database tools.