RE: Operational Excellence - True or False? (Feel free to explain if so inclined)

From: Lange, Kevin G <kevin.lange_at_ppoone.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 15:57:55 -0500

Infallable is a word I hate to hear.

Further looking at everyones response I would like to modify mine.

If, by Operational Excellence, you are talking the best of the best of the best in that choosen item, then, No. I do not believe that someone can have Operational Excellence in 2 different things unless they are exceedinly dedicated individuals with no life outside their profession. No spouse, no children, no dogs, no cats, and no addictive mmorpg games to play.

I agree that it would almost be impossible to stay on the leading edge of multiple things at the same time and keep that level going on all of them if you have to do anything like eat or sleep.

So, If by Operational Excellence you are meaning Bleading Edge Expert in all aspects of said profession then I would say No to multiple things if you have any kind of life outside of work.

Kevin

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Coll-Barth, Michael Sent: Thursday, July 28, 2011 2:57 PM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: RE: Operational Excellence - True or False? (Feel free to explain if so inclined)

Chris,

>>> I think you have made the mistake of equating excellence with
infallible or inerrant (or perhaps both). Perhaps to you that is what operational excellence is. To be inerrant and/or infallible.

The problem with these terms is that management will run with them. Then, over time, they take on a whole different meaning. And that word, 'infallible', is the word I'm afraid will become synonymous with excellence.

Where I work, management tries very hard to not use buzz words or ambiguous terms. Yes, we have metrics and we always strive to improve them. It's nice to see your app with that number next to its name. And when it isn't it pushes you to make changes to get your app back up there.

I guess it's time for me to socialize this idea in the office. J

From: Taylor, Chris David [mailto:ChrisDavid.Taylor_at_ingrambarge.com] Sent: Thursday, July 28, 2011 3:23 PM
To: Coll-Barth, Michael; 'oracle-l_at_freelists.org' Subject: RE: Operational Excellence - True or False? (Feel free to explain if so inclined)

Yikes! Yes, I think you need to eat J

I actually made the conscious decision to not define Operational Excellence because it is different for each organization. Operational excellence might be recognized by providing 5 9s of availability (99.999) because that is what is determined as the measuring stick for a particular organization. A different organization may strive for response time for 90% of queries to complete in under 10 ms. Obviously these are simplistic examples.

I think you have made the mistake of equating excellence with infallible or inerrant (or perhaps both). Perhaps to you that is what operational excellence is. To be inerrant and/or infallible.

I hope that helps.

--Chris

This e-mail, including attachments, may include confidential and/or proprietary information, and may be used only by the person or entity to which it is addressed. If the reader of this e-mail is not the intended recipient or his or her authorized agent, the reader is hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by replying to this message and delete this e-mail immediately.