RE: all time worst question I have been ever asked as a DBA

From: Aragon, Gabriel (GE, Corporate, consultant) <"Aragon,>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 17:18:06 -0400

That makes me remember a funny case long time ago (7.3 or 8.0):

Issue: VAX workstation running reports in control room in a steel factory have to wait 60min for a report to complete, in the meanwhile the control room has no access to information since computer is running report and not allowing to do anything else. Totally unacceptable.

Team involved: Manager, developer, DBA (me).

DBA: (to developer) Can you please tell me how are you getting info for the report?

Dev: Every query calls a view where I have all data I need, since that view calls another view which calls some other views and then another and …….

DBA: Ooooook, so basically in your final view you are returning almost entire DB data using nested views, right?

Dev: Yes but this way I can use same view to get all the information I need for practically every query I have to execute!

DBA: (to manager) give me some time and I will reduce response time by removing unnecessary views.

Dev: But I need those views! If I don’t use them I will have to write very specific queries for everything I need from the database!

Manager: I don’t know what to do.

DBA: You should let DBA take care of database activities.

After sometime response time for report was improved to 60 seconds.

Gabriel Aragon

Contractor

GE Corporate Information Systems

T +52 (449) 910 7392

M +52 (449) 231 4618

gabriel.aragon_at_ge.com <mailto:gabriel.aragon_at_ge.com>

Av. Eugenio Garza Sada #902, Parque Tecnopolo

Aguascalientes, Ags. 20328, Mexico

From: Demetrius Harper [mailto:harperdk_at_yahoo.com] Sent: Miércoles, 27 de Julio de 2011 03:38 p.m. To: Aragon, Gabriel (GE, Corporate, consultant); "ORACLE-L" Subject: Re: all time worst question I have been ever asked as a DBA

From a Jr. DBA at Aerospace company

From DBA to Oracle Developer

I ran the package.pkg script, but you have another file that is looks the same (packageb.pkg), I didn't run that one...

ex.2 (same guy)

Developer asks DBA, what privileges does that user in production have?

DBA's response:

OK let me look... HMMMM... After 5 mins, I don't remember what table that is in... Let me get back with you on that! He never did

Sr. DBA with the same Oracle Developer

DBA LOCKS batch_user while running scheduled jobs during production daily loads, after several hundred alerts and failures

Developer:

Hey did you lock the batch user in production?

DBA: Yes!

Developer:

Why would you do that when we are running jobs in production!

DBA It had some sessions open so I locked the user, it shouldn't open any sessions in production!

Developer:

OK, he went to managment to get this issue recified...

WOW Needless to say I was OTFLOL

From: "Aragon, Gabriel (GE, Corporate, consultant)" <gabriel.aragon_at_ge.com> To: ""ORACLE-L"" <oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Sent: Tuesday, July 26, 2011 2:02 PM
Subject: RE: all time worst question I have been ever asked as a DBA

I have some of those..

User: can you please create this table?

DBA: No, table already exists in your schema.

User: Oh, can you please force create?

User: Pls upgrade to 11g, but not entire database only my schema, I don’t want the other users to be affected

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Lyall Barbour Sent: Martes, 26 de Julio de 2011 02:46 p.m. To: "ORACLE-L"

Well, you made at least half the list's day with this one. From all of us, "thank you"