Re: Question for Dataguard users

From: <japplewhite_at_austinisd.org>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 15:06:10 -0500

Robert,

We handle that via DNS aliases. We never use the actual hostname in any TNSNames.ora file or JDBC or other connect string. We have our Sys Admins add a DNS alias for every database on a server. It's exactly the same as the Service_Name for the database. We may have several Service_Names per actual database. There is a DNS alias for each of those Service_Names on the host server. That allows us to start a new Vendor App as a schema in an existing database (with its own Service_Name and host DNS alias) and see if it comes to eventually need its own database. If so, or we just want to move the schema, we move the Service_Name and DNS alias to the new DB and server and all connect strings continue to work.

The same thing works for Switchovers / Failovers to Standbys from Primarys. When we do a Switch / Failover, we just prep the DBs, have the Sys Admins switch the DNS aliases. Then all Clients can reconnect to the new Primary. No muss, no fuss. Works great.

Jack C. Applewhite - Database Administrator Austin I.S.D. - MIS Department
512.414.9250 (wk) / 512.935.5929 (pager)

From: "Storey, Robert (DCSO)" <RStorey_at_DCSO.nashville.org> To: oracle-l-freelists <oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Date: 07/27/2011 12:44 PM

Subject:        Question for Dataguard users
Sent by:        oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org

Okay, have a question for the dataguard users. Probably more for the non-RAC folks than anything.

My setup is a primary and a single physical standby.

In the event of a switchover, all user connections are broken and the switch occurs. Then users have to reconnect.

But, I’m looking for the best way to structure the TNSNAMES file. I’m probably over thinking this, but, there has to be a way to create both entries for both servers in the file, but only have them use the production one. Something tickles my brain from way back that it will run the TNS list in order looking for a connection.

Just curious how others have set up their files.

Thanks