Re: control_file_record_keep_time --- confusing and messed up with my RMAN backups in standby server

From: Pawel Smolarz <pawel.smolarz_at_nordea.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 13:37:45 +0200

According to the documentation 397269.1 CONTROL_FILE_RECORD_KEEP_TIME should be higher than retention policy:

Here is a formula:
CONTROL_FILE_RECORD_KEEP_TIME = retention period + level 0 backup interval + 1

Pozdrawiam / Regards,
Paweł

W dniu 23.06.2011 17:09, Hemant K Chitale pisze: Here's the question :

If this is your *first* BACKUP DATABASE run, how does it matter which older archivelogs are backed up ? It makes no difference if the first archivelog to be backed up is as of 7minutes OR 7days or 28days before the start of the BACKUP DATABASE. The older archivelogs are completely useless in any restore+recovery scenario because you don't have an older database backup.

Going forward, you need to ensure that all archivelogs from the first BACKUP DATABASE onwards do get backed up !

 I presume that the SQL query output you present is from a query on V$CONTROLFILE_RECORD_SECTION.

It shows that a total of 8,060 "records" -- think of them as "slots" -- for ArchiveLog entries have been created but only 4,836 are in use currently. This would happen if, at sometime in the past, in one 7day period your database did generate 8,060 archivelogs, thus creating 8,060 entries in the controlfile.

Here is an example of a V$ARCHIVED_LOG having entries as far back as 142 days ago !

On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 7:13 PM, Balakrishna Y <krishna000_at_gmail.com<mailto:krishna000_at_gmail.com>> wrote: Hi All,

Here is my live scenario .
 <snip>
and we didn't notice this database at all to our knowledge .

<snip>

I've configured according to our policies which is 28 days retention and the backup's needs to be configured on standby server only . After everything i've took a first cold backup with archivelog all delete input . It errored in between

RMAN-03009: failure of backup command on ORA_DISK_1 channel ORA-19571: archived-log recid 3257 stamp 650396427 not found in control file

<snip>

Can any body intrepret the output of the below . -- This is also confusing

TYPE                         RECORD_SIZE RECORDS_TOTAL RECORDS_USED FIRST_INDEX LAST_INDEX LAST_RECID
---------------------------- ----------- ------------- ------------ ----------- ---------- ----------
ARCHIVED LOG                         584          8060         4836        8016       4791      11623

Regards

Bala

--

Hemant K Chitale
http://hemantoracledba.blogspot.com

Nordea Bank Polska S.A. z siedzibą w Gdyni, ul. Kielecka 2, 81-303 Gdynia,
wpisaną do Rejestru Przedsiębiorców Krajowego Rejestru Sądowego pod numerem: 0000021828,
dla której dokumentację przechowuje Sąd Rejonowy Gdańsk - Północ w Gdańsku,
VIII Wydział Gospodarczy Krajowego Rejestru Sądowego,
o kapitale zakładowym i wpłaconym w wysokości: 277.493.500,00 złotych,
NIP: 586-000-78-20, REGON: 190024711