Re: supplemental logging questions and golden gate

From: Alex Fatkulin <afatkulin_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2011 10:30:35 -0400

By default Oracle logs only columns that changed. The whole purpose of supplemental logging is to enable logging for something that didn't.

If you execute

update emp set name='Bob' where emp_id=100

you won't get emp_id logged in the redo because it did not change unless you enable supplemental logging for emp_id column (which is required on the receiving end of the replication to resolve the row being updated). The whole before/after image point, when applied to supplemental logged columns, is a bit moot since the column value did not change. The "before image" term in the doc might be a bit confusing until you realize that.

--
Alex Fatkulin,
http://afatkulin.blogspot.com