RE: OEM vs Foglight

From: Rich Jesse <rjoralist2_at_society.servebeer.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2011 12:57:40 -0500 (CDT)

Hi Dave,

> Rich, I hadn't heard of those issues. Do you have any bug#'s I could check
> related to them? Also, for the checker script you use, would you be willing
> to share any details on it?

I've checked the SR I placed on it. Here's the info I grabbed from the EMDIAG kit at the time:

  verifyJOBS

  1. Active jobs without execution info: 5
  2. Repeating jobs not scheduled: 4

These jobs were all archivelog backup jobs made with the (icky) GC Backup wizard. The 5th job was a secondary archivelog backup that was used to handle increased log generation during our environment refreshes (before I re-engineered the refresh scripts to avoid excessive logging).

Support told me to upgrade GC. Thanks. Great advice.

There are no official bugs that were associated with my SR.

Here's the basis of my script, one of a few needed to keep tabs on GC and Oracle in general (NOTE THAT THE FORMAT OF THE repvfy COMMAND IS HIGHLY DEPENDENT ON THE EMDIAG VERSION!): $MY_EMDIAG_DIR/bin/repvfy verify jobs -pwd MY_GC_REPOSITORY_PWD /log /tmp|grep -E "\d">$SOME_TEMP_FILE_NAME

# If errors are found, grep will succeed and return a status of 0. # In this case, dump a message to a log file if [ "$?" -eq 0 ]; then

        {NOTIFY THE DBA STUFF GOES HERE} fi

As another HUGE disclaimer, this use of the EMDIAG kit is not supported nor recommended by Oracle Support. I see it as the lesser of evils, considering the responses I typically get from Support on GC matters. Of my last three major issues with GC, the responses I've gotten are Upgrade, Upgrade, and run-this-emdiag-command-to-clear-the-error-so-we-can't-do-any-root-cause-analysis.

> We haven't run into any of the issues you mentioned, but then again if at
> some time a job was found not running anymore, more than likely a
> lower-level DBA got blamed unjustly.

Sorry! I didn't mean to stomp on this thread. To pull it back, I have evaluated Foglight because of the major problems I've had with GC. Foglight, however, had a few shortcomings. First, we were (and still are) already licensed for the Diag/Tuning packs for GC. An additional software purchase is a very hard sell. Not to mention that we would have needed additional hardware (virtual or not), as my li'l GC server is an old desktop with a whopping 2GB of RAM running Linux. Finally, Foglight could maintain custom metrics, but strangely only for a limited amount of days (maybe 90?), after which one would have to remember to re-add them. I need three years of history, which would have been difficult for me to maintain in Foglight.

Bottom line is that as many severe issues as I've had with GC, I could not justify the additional expense of Foglight. If we hadn't already licensed the GC packs, perhaps it would've been different.

Rich