RE: Grid Control agent monitor multiple IPs on single server

From: Jorgensen, Finn <Finn.Jorgensen_at_constellation.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2011 13:27:11 -0400

Alan/Rich,

It's very scriptable and very doable and also very scalable. I have a lot of servers with hundreds of databases all managed in this way through scripts. I don't use automatic target discovery. Instead I have a script running every hour on each server that looks for new targets (compare what's running with what's registered in the repository) and registers anything that's new using EMCLI.

To answer the other question, why have more than one IP on one server other than for failover clusters - I've been on a project where the app was so chatty the number of packets on the IP layer was so huge the protocol couldn't keep up. Literally over a hundred thousand packets per second. I had to split different parts of the app on different IP's to improve performance.

Thanks,
Finn

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Guillermo Alan Bort Sent: Friday, July 15, 2011 12:05 PM
To: pdba1966_at_hotmail.com
Cc: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Re: Grid Control agent monitor multiple IPs on single server

Rich, yes they would duplicate discovered targets and you would have to manually remove them (as I said, a buttload of manual work, it should be scriptable but I'm not sure if that would be very scalable). Alan.-

On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 12:36 PM, Guillermo Alan Bort <cicciuxdba_at_gmail.com<mailto:cicciuxdba_at_gmail.com>> wrote: Yes, it can do that. However, if you are talking about a failover cluster (that's the only reason I can think of that would justify having different IP addresses) then the matter becomes more complicated and you either need one agent per home and a buttload of manual configs or one agent per server and some emcli scripting to handle failovers.

hth
Alan.-

On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 12:09 PM, P D <pdba1966_at_hotmail.com<mailto:pdba1966_at_hotmail.com>> wrote: If you have one server that has multiple databases with multiple listeners that have DIFFERENT IP addresses but co-exist on the same server, do you have to have separate Grid Control agents to monitor the different ip addresses or would you still have just one agent for the server itself and it could still discover everything?

For example, if you wanted to be able to monitor whether each individual listener is up, could one agent do that even though the IPs are different? This is a 10.2.0.5 agent on Linux running Standard Edition with 11.1.0.7 databases.