Re: Anyone tried connecting to 10.1 DB from 11.2 client?

From: Mark Strickland <strickland.mark_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2011 11:18:54 -0700

At a client site, I have an 11.2.0.1 client on 64-bit Windows where SQL*Plus gets called from shell scripts running in Cygwin and the client connects to both 10.2 and 10.1 databases on Unix. I've noticed infrequent wrong query results get returned. It appears to be related to load on the database servers and I've found related bugs on Metalink, but I've not been able to get to the bottom of it (client is on the other side of the world and I do not have access to Production). In their SIT and UAT environments where I do have access, the database connections occasionally hang. Sorry that I don't have better information than that. I've had to move onto other things. Just be watchful. In my situation, I had to add a verification step to the scripts, ie, running the same queries a second time to get verification counts and then instructing the operator on re-running the scripts in the event of incorrect results. This added an hour to a 6-hour process.

Regards,
Mark Strickland
Seattle, WA