Re: ASM or not to ASM

From: Nuno Souto <dbvision_at_iinet.net.au>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2011 19:59:29 +1000

Andrew Kerber wrote,on my timestamp of 12/07/2011 11:17 PM:
> I use ASM a lot, and I really dont see any advantage of using asm unless you are
> in a cluster. Especially with windows. It doesnt really make managing space
> easier, its just different.

Bingo. All the nonsense in the ASM papers about "how much easier it is to admin" is just Powerpoint vapour. But I can see some of the advantages outside RAC - I believe it was Alan who mentioned them? As in, singly and severaly: multiple, many instances, many being copies, no SAN, need for quick provisioning, etcetc.
Under those conditions I believe it may make sense to use ASM outside of the specific arena of RAC.
But in Windows, single instance? Curriculum build-up is the only motivation I can see...

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto