Re: ASM or not to ASM

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2011 11:30:44 -0700

On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 9:55 AM, Tim Gorman <tim_at_evdbt.com> wrote:

> The main thing that is happening is that stuff which used to "belong" in
> the realm of "root" and the Sys Admins are being moved under the realm of
> DBA. So, there is a huge political aspect to the adoption of ASM that often
> overshadows the technical aspect, and this political "shift of power" from
> Sys Admin to DBA can be more of an obstruction than any other aspect of ASM
> adoption. Not sure what things are like in your shop, but that is not a
> trivial concern.

In addition to the political issues, there may also be matters of convenience - yours.

At my previous employer I did not use ASM.

Whenever that topic came up, fellow DBA's felt obligated to chastise me and attempt
to convince me to use ASM. Well that just wasn't going to happen at that shop.

Why not? I was the only DBA.

That company has some excellent system administrators, but they do not know Oracle that well.

I liked the fact that they could look at storage on the server and monitor it and see where the space was.

As the lone DBA, I did not really want to 'own' the storage.

Had I proposed ASM, I am quite sure the SA manager would have shot it down when he learned the ramifications for his team, and with good reason IMO.

HTH, Jared Still
Certifiable Oracle DBA and Part Time Perl Evangelist Oracle Blog: http://jkstill.blogspot.com Home Page: http://jaredstill.com