Re: SID and Service Name

From: Subodh Deshpande <deshpande.subodh_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2011 21:18:05 +0530

Interesting
Which privs has been assigned to the said user

On 7 Jul 2011 19:53, "Niall Litchfield" <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com> wrote:

Someone, somewhere asked me if users connecting to a database using SID in the tnsnames file actually got connected to the SYS$USERS service. I have lost my note of where I was asked this, but oracle-l seems likely. The answer is (at least in 11.2 on Windows) yes. I apologize if this is meaningless to everyone. In the output below SID is my sql prom tnsalias with SID specified in connect descriptor - niall is the service_name variant. I've only edited the output for domain name.

SQL >conn niall/niall_at_sid

NIALL _at_ sid >select service_name from v$session where sid = (select sid from v$mystat where rownum = 1);

SERVICE_NAME

SYS$USERS NIALL _at_ sid >conn niall/niall_at_niall Connected.
NIALL _at_ niall >select service_name from v$session where sid = (select sid from v$mystat where rownum = 1);

SERVICE_NAME

niall.domain.name

--

Niall Litchfield