Re: how to clone database to different DB name use RMAN (No duplicate or exp/imp)

From: <Mayen.Shah_at_lazard.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2011 08:45:22 -0400

AFAIK Recreating control file or opening database with reset logs will not change DBID.

Easiest method will be RMAN duplicate database. What is the reason you can not use RMAN duplicate command?

Thanks
Mayen

From:   "Andrejs Kaulins" <andrejs.kaulins_at_gmail.com>
To:     "mccdba1_at_yahoo.com" <mccdba1_at_yahoo.com>
Cc:     "oracle-db-backup-l_at_Groups.ITtoolbox.com"
<oracle-db-backup-l_at_Groups.ITtoolbox.com>, "oracle-l_at_freelists.org" <oracle-l_at_freelists.org>
Date: 07/06/2011 06:23 AM
Subject: Re: how to clone database to different DB name use RMAN (No duplicate or exp/imp)

Hi,

If you have consistent backup (cold backup), you could recreate control file with setting new db name, and defining new locations for data files. Opening database with reset logs will do the rest (dbid will be changed in data file headers).
Otherwise you need recovery, so db needs to be mounted at least with the same name as original name.

Andrejs Kaulins,
Senior DBA at SOLABS

Sent from my iPad

On 2011. gada 5. jūl., at 23:01, dba1 mcc <mccdba1_at_yahoo.com> wrote:

> We have ORACLE 10Gr2 and 11GR1
> databases. We plan to clone database to other server
> and also rename it using "nightly backup". This nightly backup may be
several weeks ago. In this case we can NOT use rman "duplicate" command or EXP/IMP.