Re: Database link owned by a role instead of a user.

From: Stephane Faroult <sfaroult_at_roughsea.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2011 11:41:00 +0200

On 07/03/2011 03:55 PM, Shastry(DBA) wrote:
> Hi Gurus,
>
> There is one weird issue in my production database where database link
> is owned by a role instead of a schema owner. Any idea or suggestions
> on this please?
>
> Thanks,
> Shastry

Shastry,

     That's an interesting one. So far the only case of ownership of anything by a role I had seen was the ownership by PUBLIC. However, there is in 11gR2 something new with database links "shared" database links. I have never tried them, I don't see from what the doc says why they would need to be owned by a role but you should check the database link view to see whether the database link has not some unusual feature.

The other possibility is that the dictionary tables have been tampered with, which would be really bad and really dangerous. You should check in sys.user$ what is is the user# of the role that owns the database link. I hope it's not 1 ...

--
Stephane Faroult
RoughSea Ltd <http://www.roughsea.com>