RE: Is a RDBMS needed?

From: Amaral, Rui <Rui.Amaral_at_tdsecurities.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2011 10:22:41 -0400

how's about being a little lazy:

http://www.dbms2.com/2011/05/21/object-oriented-database-management-systems-oodbms/

a couple of the comments are a little revealing. I played with Cache a little but... meh....

Rui Amaral
Database Administrator
ITS - SSG
TD Bank Financial Group
220 Bay St., 11th Floor
Toronto, ON, CA, M5K1A2
(bb) (647) 204-9106

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Guillermo Alan Bort Sent: Wednesday, June 29, 2011 10:13 AM
To: dbvision_at_iinet.net.au
Cc: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Re: Is a RDBMS needed?

hey, I want to get paid 500$ a day... where do I sign up? is that for consulting or for regular dba job? I can code pretty decent pl/sql as well :-P

anyway, slightly moving this farther off topic, does anyone here know anything about object oriented databases? I'm interesting in Gemstone in particular. What are they, what are the differences and what are they used for? How do they store data? what are the differences with multidimensional databases?

I had a java developer who hates rdbms telling me that RDBMS were dead (what a surprise) and that the future of persitence was in nosql and that nonsense.

cheers
Alan.-

On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 6:37 AM, Nuno Souto <dbvision_at_iinet.net.au<mailto:dbvision_at_iinet.net.au>> wrote: When clueless over the true nature of the problem, add memory!
(Microslop book of Wintel tuning)

--

Cheers
Nuno Souto
dbvision_at_iinet.net.au<mailto:dbvision_at_iinet.net.au>

Dunbar, Norman (Capgemini) wrote,on my timestamp of 29/06/2011 6:54 PM:

       The alternative is of course to improve the quality of developers?

Bigger, faster brains and more memory?

Um, isn't that a bit like throwing "hardware" at the problem .... ;-)

Sorry!

Cheers,
Norm.

Norman Dunbar
Contract Senior Oracle DBA
Capgemini Database Team (EA)
Internal : 7 28 2051
External : 0113 231 2051

NOTICE: Confidential message which may be privileged. Unauthorized use/disclosure prohibited. If received in error, please go to www.td.com/legal for instructions. AVIS : Message confidentiel dont le contenu peut être privilégié. Utilisation/divulgation interdites sans permission. Si reçu par erreur, prière d'aller au www.td.com/francais/avis_juridique pour des instructions.

--

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Wed Jun 29 2011 - 09:22:41 CDT

Original text of this message