Re: golden gate and partition exchanges

From: Mark Van de Wiel <mark.van.de.wiel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 09:48:17 -0700

A partition exchange operation is DDL. You have to replicate DDL in order to capture and propagate partition exchange operations. If you don't capture/propagate DDL then nothing happens to the data on the target database (for one thing, the DDL operation is written as such to the redo log and there is no record of every row that was moved in the exchange).

DDL capture and replication has a number of restrictions (see the documentation). The latest I know is that for DDL replication you must have like-to-like (i.e. the same schema on source and target) replication and DDL propagation is not supported between different databases (i.e. you cannot propagate this between Oracle and Teradata).

What you could do (using GoldenGate's extension capabilities) is use the event marker infrastructure to capture the partition exchange operations and then kick off an event on the other database (e.g. Teradata) to perform a similar operation using a statement against Teradata (if that is what you wanted to do).

Hope this helps.

Mark.